Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day 2


"Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean."
Ryunosuke Satoro quotes

I am 35,000 feet in the air as I write this. After waking at 3:30 this morning and going through all those lovely travel day rituals….double checking each bag 5 times…passport check, wallet check, phone check….double passport check….and a quick shower….we were finally off to the airport. We are finally on our way. We were quite lucky to have booked “Kat and Jenn’s Car Service of Luxury and Ultimate Good Times!” for the ride. It was a pretty good deal….they provided luxury service AND ultimate good times on our early morning ride to the airport…and all we had to do was…nothing! In case you haven’t clued in….my besties Kat and Jenn dragged their beautiful butts outs of bed well before the crack of dawn this morning to take us. That is love. That is true friendship. And we never even had to ask. After pampering me at the PediSpa last night and the luxury ride to the airport this AM…they sure have made this soon-to-be thirty year old feel special.

I talked to my Mama and Daddy before we boarded, talked to my sister, and got a precious “Hi Ubie” from Phoebe. They all wished us well and gave some much appreciated travel pointers. The sun is barely rising and I’ve already been in contact with all these people I love. So far so good! Then Mike and I weren’t sat together on the plane and a very kind woman switched with me so we could be. Now I sit with the man I love sleeping in the seat next to me as we wing our way to Mexico. Life is pretty good.

Life. Something to be celebrated. And we should. And I am.

I’ve been battling with a little guilt about this trip. Feeling bad about how much money was spent, feeling bad about missing work, people making a fuss over me….it usually makes me uneasy. But its not every day you get to celebrate 3 decades on this earth. So, I’m embracing this one! I am going to let myself celebrate and be celebrated. We should live out loud. Love out loud. Be awake and aware of our blessings and let the gratitude spill out of us.

So, If my friends and my family and my love want to make a fuss over me for this momentous occasion…..then I say THANK YOU!

Thank you for making me feel so special. Thank you for the joy and wonder you have all provided for this very special 30th birthday….but more than that…thank you for the joy and wonder you bring in to my life everyday. Thank you for loving me so well.

The Disney movie Chimpanzee is on the tiny little screen in front of Mike’s seat. It follows and studies a group of chimps. I can’t hear it, but you don’t need to to see the story of these beautiful animals. As I glance up to watch their world and look down to write about my own, I can’t help but see the similarities….

As Papa chimp helps baby chimp grab berries from a tall branch…I recall all the times Mike helps me get the grits down off the top shelf I can’t quite reach. I see them ride on the backs of and cuddle with one another….I think of my Mother and Father. As they play and tease and tumble…I see my brother, sister, and I playing as kids. I see them work together just like me and my co-workers…I see them take care of each other, just like we do. As I look at them…I see me. I see my family….Mama and Daddy, Laura, Justin, Phoebe…I see Jenn and Kat and Sonia…Bogey, Joe, Panda, Orlando and Paty….Angela, Kristina…so many people that make up my tribe. My family. My reason for everything.

Because to me….that’s is what its all about. Your people.

My people are my reason for living, my source of love, my every happiness. They make the world shine. They are the magic.

I fell so overwhelmed with the birthday love from my people this year. They didn’t have to go out of their way…but they did. And I am so touched. Now its time to just go…enjoy….relax…and soak up all that love….soak it up so I can send it right back out into the world again.

Day 2: I am grateful…beyond measure…for my tribe, my people, my family. For their thoughtfulness and love. Not just during this special time in my life…but each and every day. I am so grateful that this life…this 30 years…has given me so many hearts to call home.



No comments:

Post a Comment