Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 68


 "A friend is one soul abiding in two bodies."

Diogenes


When I was 14 years old, I met my soulmate. One of them, at least. That's her. That's my Kat. We met freshman year at Pebblebrook High School. We were in drama class together...and Mrs. Ebener's science class ("Plug me in, young Alton!"). She showed me so much kindness, right from the very beginning. This was a performing arts magnet school and most of my friends from middle school didn't attend. They went to our district school the next town over. I remember I was wandering through the cafeteria, not knowing what to do, when she asked me to come sit with her and her friends...which I did. And the group of us sat in that spot for the next 4 years. I'll never forget it. I was lost and alone, and she took me in. 

We became friends quickly. We had the same interests, the same sense of humor. I remember the moment I knew that we had something special. It was right at the beginning of freshman year. We were waiting for the bus. Kat got on her bus and told me to call her. I said "what's your number?" As the bus drove away, I heard her yell "850-8661!!" I never wrote it down. And I never forgot it. That was 15 years ago. I don't know why that was such an important moment to me. Maybe because I just knew, when I heard that number, that I would call it a million times. That I would dial that number and reach someone to laugh with. I would dial that number when I needed someone to cry with. I would dial it to talk about boys, and dreams, and gossip. And I did. So many times. 

Kat and I were inseparable for years. So many nights sleeping over at each others houses, begging our parents not to separate us, hating to be without one another. We did plays together, went on trips together, helped each other through many hair crises, boy traumas, family battles, and broken hearts. She was my rock. I remember one time, in our drama class, a friend of ours called her a name....I saw RED. And this was a good friend of ours too...but the second she crossed my Kat, I was ready to fight. Nothing like that had ever happened to me before, but my instincts kicked in and I knew in that moment that I would do anything to protect her. We were Thelma and Louise...or more appropriately (and literally) Truvy and Annelle. 

We went to different colleges. I was in Cincinnati and she was in Chicago. We met new people, found new interests...and from what I remember, we didn't talk all the time. But it never mattered. You know you have those friends that you may not speak to every weekend on the phone, but when you do, you pick up right where you left off. We didn't need to talk for hours every week to know that we were there for one another. And we always were. She visited me, I visited her. We were growing and changing, but we were always...us. I missed her so much some times, I could hardly stand it. Because no one understood me like she did. We've always said that we shared a brain, that we were two halves of one whole. We are.

I have watched Kat grow from an incredible girl...into an even more incredible woman. I've watched her experience and handle tragedy, I've seen her push boundaries, explore and conquer different avenues, try new things...she was always the fearless one. Whether she realizes it or not. I always looked to her to lead the way. And she always did. 

She stayed in Chicago after college and I ended up in Los Angeles. We wondered if we would ever live in the same city together ever again. Neither of us could really afford to visit. We did the best we could by way of phone and iChat. We found ways to be together. Then tragedy struck. I lost my brother in 2007 and my entire world fell apart. And that wonderful girl? She hopped on a plane and she came to me. In a time where everyone was bringing me words of condolence, she brought me herself. She brought me silence. She sat quietly with me, held me in her arms, and let me cry. Maybe because she knew that there were no words...maybe because with her, there didn't need to be any. We share a brain, remember? She dropped everything and was everything that I needed. But she didn't stop there....shortly after, that amazing, beautiful, wonderful, talented girl, moved out to Los Angeles and right into my house! Now, I know that I'm not the only reason she moved to LA. She had many reasons. But I am confident that I was one of them. And now we are together. 

Things aren't always perfect. When you share a brain, you can still get into fights with yourself! And we are famous for that. Especially for arguing the same point without realizing it! But even through the bad times, or rough moments, our foundation has never been shaken. And it never will be. Like Diogenes said..."A friend is one soul abiding in two bodies." She is a part of me, a part of my soul, a part of my heart. She is one thing in this world that I will never doubt or question, one thing I know I can always count on. She is my best friend.

Day 68: I am grateful for Kathryn Juliana Korosi. Beyond measure. I am grateful for all the years we've had together and for all the years to come. I am grateful for every laugh, every cry, every phone call, water fight, driveway session, every argument, every hug (standing or resting style!), every "fnoot" and inside joke, every moment that has made us who we are. 

Kat,

My life would be nothing without you. I love you more than I'll ever have the words to say...but I know that I don't even need to try. Because you know. We finally reached the point where we have been in each others lives longer than we were ever without each other. Almost 16 years and I've loved every second. Thank you for being everything that you are...and for sharing everything that you are with me. Gratitude abounds.

All my heart,
"Suz"

(way back when - at the start of us)

No comments:

Post a Comment