“Water is life's mater and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water.”
Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
Day 83: I am grateful for Water.
Yup. Light yesterday, water today. It wasn't planned that way, just happened. It came to me...in the form of a headache. I sat down to write, not knowing what today's subject would be. Just closed my eyes to see what particular blessing would pop into my mind at that moment. And there it was....BAM. I have a headache. Its not a terrible one, but enough to distract me from thinking (which may not be a bad thing). How can I stare at this computer screen and write with this obnoxious little headache? I am grateful for this headache? I am grateful for the ability to feel pain? Whereas that may be true, it didn't feel right. Then I realized where the headache was coming from....
In the middle of this whole exploration-of-gratitude-blog self expansion project, I have embarked on a few other self expansion projects. One of them began this week. I wanted to challenge myself to only drink water for one week (at least). This is quite a challenge. I drink coffee every single morning. Like many people do! The Cuisinart is set to run at 7:00am and the intoxicating scent creeps down the hall and helps me drag my butt out of bed! I also have a love affair with Coke Zero. Then there's the occasional Sugar free Red Bull. I knew I wasn't drinking enough water and had tried to step up my intake, but just couldn't seem to do it. So I thought...I'll cut the other things out. Give myself only one option. H2O!! And being a few days in, its working! I am drinking water like crazy. I am also suffering from caffeine withdrawal...thus the headache...which has grown in intensity since I started this post and has now nestled itself directly above my right eye. Lovely.
But this headache is a reminder that I am doing something good for my body. Water is the most essential element to life on earth. It keeps me alive and is necessary for all forms of life. It nurtures the fruits and vegetables I eat, cleans my body and clothes. Not to mention, it can carry us to far off places. Then of course there is diving into a pool on a hot summer day. Remember running through sprinklers, water gun fights? A hot bath...a hot tub! Water, water, everywhere.
I am lucky enough to live in a place where clean water is readily available. Right from the faucet. There is an entire aisle at the grocery store with all kinds of water. Machines outside every 7-11, and so on...
As I really think about water, my need for it, and how available it is, I realize how much I probably have been taking it for granted all my life. And while it is wonderful to realize these things and express our gratitude for this miracle substance, we must also do our part to conserve. I know there is more that I could be doing. So much more. We all could. What better time than now to start? Check out this website I found...
http://www.wateruseitwisely.com/100-ways-to-conserve/index.php
100 ways that we can all start conserving water right now. Take a gander! I know I will! And then take those things and put them into practice. By doing so you are saying "Thank you water! I'd like to return the favor!"
And now for this headache....I think I'll go drink a big glass of..........

No comments:
Post a Comment