"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another
person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who
have lighted the flame within us."
Albert Schweitzer
I've had a lot on my mind. Nothing to worry about...just a lot on my mind. Everyone has those days, or weeks, where you find yourself thinking about the state of things. Where you are in your life, what you want, contemplating change, really just finding your place...or if you even belong where you thought you did at all. And I have been. Thinking a lot, that is. But sometimes those thoughts can weigh on you. And I have a reputation for being an extreme over-thinker. And, in reference to today's quote above, all this thinking has "put out my light" so to speak. You sit and you think and you wonder and you contemplate and before you know it, you're in a hole of thinking about problems and have lost all sight of finding solutions. It sounds much darker than it is. All that really just translates to is "bummed out." And I have been a little bummed out.
But all that changed last night. Friends are such blessings. And they came to my rescue...without even realizing it.
Last night, Kat and I hosted a clothing exchange. We invited our most special lady friends over. We had all gone through our closets and pulled anything we wanted to donate or just plain get rid of. There were piles and piles of clothes strewn about the living room (and one very angry puppy barking out back). Everything is separated...skirt pile, jeans pile, sweaters, tank tops, etc.... Even books, lotions, nick-knacks, basically everything under the sun. Then we have at it! Clothes are flying everywhere..."Oh that looks great on you!", "Oh, my Dad gave me that! I'm so happy it found a home!", "Hey, you should try this one!", and so on. There are usually snacks...and always wine! Anything that is not claimed by the end of the night is donated to a local shelter for women.
When the girls arrived, I was running behind, had already messed up the recipe for the snacks I was making, had not showered and was still in workout clothes. A wee bit stressed....but all of that was really just residual effects of the downward over-thinking spiral that had clouded my mind all day. I was probably not very pleasant and wanted so badly to just have fun.
And then came my ladies. So sweet. So compassionate. I didn't even really need to tell them what was wrong, they were very receptive to my energy and just offered help. "Anything I can do?" "What do you need?" "Want a glass of wine?" They knew when to help and when to leave me alone. And even if I said that I didn't need help, they found a way. My dear sweet friend Jenn, who must have sensed that the dog's barking was sending me into a frenzy, even left the party and went outside to play with him in hopes of wearing him out. Unfortunately, Brando only gets wound up and never wound down! But she gave me 5 beautiful bark-less minutes that helped me get the snacks prepared.
I eventually got everything finished, calmed down, and was able to enjoy the party. And boy-howdy, did we! Talking, laughing, exchanging clothes and stories. All of my energy went from my head to my heart. Those ladies reached down and with their collective hands, pulled me out of the hole I was in. They re-lit the flame.
Day 67: I am so grateful to have such wonderful female friends. Friends who are there to help even when I don't know how to ask for it. Friends who, just by being there, fill your heart, ease your mind, and give you the spark you need to keep going. I am so grateful to Jenn Spain, Kathryn Korosi, Kate Bergeron, Kelley Chura, and Sonia Koschoreck for being the incredibly wonderful ladies they are. Thank you for sharing your light.

No comments:
Post a Comment