Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 72

"When we meet again...introduced as friends...please don't let on that you knew me when I was hungry and it was your world."

Bob Dylan



May 24th (just a few days ago) was Bob Dylan's birthday. He turned 71 years old. And he is someone to celebrate. To me at least. Bob Dylan is one of my favorite musicians...and perhaps the best and weirdest lyricist ever to have walked the earth. As I'm writing this, Visions of Johanna plays on my record player. I've been listening all day while cleaning the house. (Empty House = Cleaning Sue!) This was done in honor of his birthday, but also because I'm feeling very "dylan-esque" these days...whatever that means.

There so many reasons I love him. First off because I was introduced to him while I was in love with a wonderful man. It was a very special time in my life. When I was figuring out who I was. He and his friends were huge fans and often broke out their guitars for renditions of When I'm Alone With You or Highway 61. Thats the song that got me. The first time they played it. Oddly enough, years later I found the record Highway 61 in my parents basement. It's a little scratched up...but it still plays. Boy, does it play.

And once I was hooked, there was no stopping. One of my love's friends, by way of a mix-tape contest, ended up taking me on a journey through Bob Dylan. We started at the beginning, the first album, and worked our way on. We had discussions and wrote essays back and forth about each album. And for a while, he was a very dear friend.

Through the process, Bob changed my perspective on music. It was absolutely wild. The way he explores all avenues. He never lets himself get too stuck. His music is constantly evolving...because he is constantly evolving. And his voice. Some people don't like it...or don't get it. I think its purposeful. His voice becomes another character in his songs. Just brilliant. He's a wonderful storyteller and a great philosopher. He's a deep thinker, but he doesn't take himself too seriously...not all the time. And at that time in my life I needed all of that.

That man and his records were there with me as I figured a lot of things out. You know how sometimes when you hear a song you feel like the artist could be speaking right to you? The good ones make you feel that way. And he did. At that time.

My record just stopped. Finished out side one with Sooner or Later (One of Us Must Know). That just happens to be my favorite Bob Dylan song. How perfect. I love it when moments like that happen. (listen to the keys in the chorus of that song. It's crazy!)

Day 72: I am so grateful to Bob Dylan for sharing his thoughts and his talents with the world. I am grateful to that wonderful man I loved for introducing me....and for so many other things. And to his friend who shared his time and views on this incomparable artist. And to all the artists out there who are sharing their voice.



No comments:

Post a Comment