Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 79

"Every story has a happy ending. If its not happy, then it is not over yet."

 - ???

(This one is my absolute favorite!)


This was an excellent Saturday. Incredibly productive. I had a great workout, paid some overdue attention to my nails, and spring cleaned the heck out of my kitchen. Hours clearing cabinets, reorganizing, and scrubbing the entire floor one tile at a time. And for me, being the weirdo that I am....it was so much fun. I love to have a clean kitchen and when it was all said and done, I just stood there and basked in its glory! The day went on to include a quasi-late night trip to a diner with some of my favorite humans and a viewing of The Muppet Movie over decadent ice-cream treats. Yes. My day ruled. 


Half way through this rad-tastic day, my dear Kat and I took a little break form our productivity to watch Once Upon a Time together. If you don't know it, its a show on ABC that revolves around fairytale characters. Kat recently got into it and invited me into the fold as well....and I loved it. 


There's just something about a fairy tale. Where you can go from rags to riches with the touch of a wand. Animals not only wear clothes and talk, but are sometimes your best friends and always there to help you out of a tight spot. Good conquers evil. True love wins out. And there is always a happy ending. 


No. In our world there are not always happy endings. Good does not always conquer evil. And true love, quite often, is something people just don't believe in. There are some people who even think that fairy tales are destructive. That they are just setting up our youth for disappointment. I think that's hogwash. 


I am grateful that I was read fairy tales as a child. They did instill in me a belief of true love and happy endings. And in a world that can sometimes be cold and cruel....I still had hope. Some pretty bad hands have been dealt, tragedies suffered, and my heart broken in ways that seemed beyond repair...but not once did I lose hope in a brighter tomorrow. 


And now I have my Prince Charming. We live in our castle. It may not be gold plated with statues and fountains and talking/dancing furniture...but its our happy home. I have a family that is healing and bonding in new ways. I have countless riches far more valuable than gold. And I have these things because I never gave up. I always believed. 


Day 79: I am grateful for fairy tales. For the lessons they teach and the belief they instill. We have to keep reading these stories to our children. Because when life is cruel and woes come their way, they will always find a way to a brighter tomorrow...but they have to believe its there. 





No comments:

Post a Comment