Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 95


"In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy."
Brother David Steindl-Rast



I had a rough day today. Nothing too terrible. Just one of those days. Its gloomy outside, work was less than spectacular, my muscles are sore from the week's workouts, and everything seems to be various shades of grey. Even when I got home from work, I told my boyfriend "I don't know what to write about. I'm not feeling very grateful today." The second it came out of my mouth, I felt ashamed of myself. Its my 6th post! How in the world am I supposed to help others put gratitude in the forefront of their minds if I give up so easily? There is always something to be grateful for. I know that. In my heart I know that. But today, my head took over. Just because I'm having a bad day, just because I'm not "happy" in this moment, doesn't mean I can't be grateful. So...its time for an exercise....

Its a free write, I guess. I would love for you to join me if you like. Maybe you had a bad day? Or maybe you just need a moment to focus on all of your blessings. Pick a spot. Any spot in your home, outside, anywhere that you can find a sense of stillness. (Mine is on my front porch in an old decrepit rocking chair, looking out over our little jungle of a front yard and what I wish was a far more distant Burbank Blvd.) Then just sit. And take it all in. 

I am grateful for the incredible array of plants and flowers that my landlord used to create this beautiful mini-jungle of ours
I am grateful for the cool southern California air
I am grateful for the wonderful man in the thrift store tank top tapping his toes next to me (and I am grateful that he has the volume turned up so loud I can hear the music seeping out of his headphones
I am grateful for that deep breath I just took
I am grateful for oxygen
I am grateful for the sound of car rushing by and how it almost sounds like the ocean when I close my eyes
I am grateful that I can hear those sounds at all
I am grateful that this chair, the 1st piece of furniture I bought when I moved to LA, is holding up after all these years and I am grateful for all the memories it holds
I am grateful for the cold wine in my hand and I am grateful that I have the means to enjoy such a luxury
I am grateful for my best friend who is inside icing a cake
I am grateful that tonight we will be sharing that cake with dear friends, blowing out candles, and celebrating life
I am oh so grateful for those friends

As I finished typing that line, I realized that I had a huge smile on my face...and a sudden urge to go in and assist in icing that cake! To be a part of that moment. To not only be grateful for these blessing, but to go enjoy them fully. 

This day is not so grey anymore. ;-) 

Life won't always be hunky-dory. I think we all know that to be true. There will be ups and downs, good days, bad days, and sometimes the winds can get pretty rough. But there is always something to be grateful for. And maybe...just maybe, taking a moment to focus on that, in and of itself, can turn things around. This is a way of life, I guess. And waking every morning with a grateful heart may just take a little practice. 

I'd like to reiterate the quote at the top of today's post one last time...


"In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy."




No comments:

Post a Comment