Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 70

"On behalf of the President of the United States and the people of a grateful nation, may I present this flag as a token of appreciation for the honorable and faithful service your loved one rendered this nation."


Day 70: I am grateful to those who have, are, and will serve our country. To those who have fought and died in the name of freedom. 


Every time we go see my sister in Arlington, we try to find time to stop by the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall with my Dad. We go to see the name of a dear friend of his that died serving our country. The scene is always an emotional one. I don't think anyone could visit that site or any of the memorials in Washington without being affected. 


I've never lost someone in that way. Never lost someone who died in battle or serving our country. But every time we go visit that wall....see all those names...I am reminded that I have. We all have. They were all our brothers and sisters. Mother's and Fathers. Husbands and Wives. Cousins, Uncles, Aunts. They were all ours. And they gave everything for us. 


The quote above is read at when a flag is presented at a soldier's funeral. The quote varies in some cases depending on what branch of the military in which they served. Amidst the BBQ's and family gatherings, the long weekend trips and parties we attend today...lets try to be what it says above....A grateful nation. Today and everyday. Let's be a truly grateful nation. 





No comments:

Post a Comment