"I believe the key to happiness is:
someone to love, something to do, and something to look forward to."
Elvis Presley (Rita Mae Brown?)
Thanks King...or Rita...or whoever said that first! Of course its very simple...and while cruising the inter-web, I found a lot of opposition to this quote. I won't go into it because on the internet today you can find just as many people that hate something as there are that love it. But I want to focus on the last part. Something to look forward to. I love that feeling. The anticipation of some great event...or even looking forward to a simple phone call, a date, a record release...anything. I love having something to look forward to.
Don't get me wrong. I very much am trying to be aware of the moment. To be mindful of here and now. To live this moment to its fullest. But that doesn't mean we don't plan for the future. Especially if those plans bring us joy today. And right now, in this moment, I am filled with joy just thinking of all the wonderful things coming up on my calendar this summer.
It started while emailing two of my girlfriends about an outing we are taking this very evening. We're going to see our friend do stand-up at the Comedy Store in Hollywood. A "Girls Night" essentially. Me and my two best gals out on the town to support another wonderful lady! I've been looking forward to it for a week! And then my brain started to wander on down the calendar.... Friday night, going with another dear friend to see the same lovely lady in play she's been working on. Then a possible day trip to the wineries of Ojai for Memorial Day. Then off to San Fransisco to catch my love on tour....then right back to Anaheim to catch another stop on the tour.... I'm tired already!! But wait! There's more! Then its off to Chicago for a weekend of music, sun, and sand (and hopefully visiting with old friends) with a few members of the CHM. After that trip, we'll finally be sneaking up on my 30th birthday! That is where yet another trip comes in to play...though this one is a surprise and I won't know where we're going until just before! Whew! By the time Fall rolls around I'll be all kinds of exhausted! And I haven't even started planning my trip in September to see my family. (Got to get on that!)
As I was going through all these events in my mind, I started to get a little overwhelmed. So much to do. Then I realized....each of these things is going with or to see people I love. To support those I love who are out there making art and taking on the world, to get away with friends and relax a bit on responsibility for a while, and even to celebrate myself. Suddenly, I was overtaken with immense gratitude. Just looking at this calendar and seeing...life. These days are filled with life. With the life I want to have. With people I love, new experiences, and travel.
I hope that all of you have something on your calendar to look forward to....whether it be a trip, a date, a project, a phone call, or even just the weekend (we're all looking forward to that!). And if you don't...enjoy your down time, your peace and quiet...but try to put a little something on that calendar that makes your heart flutter just thinking about it. ;-)
Day 77: I am grateful to have so many things to look forward to. For the joy it brings just thinking of what the next few months have in store. For each and every soul that I will encounter on these journeys. And it all starts tonight! Miss Kate! We're coming for ya!!

No comments:
Post a Comment