"So free for the moment, lost somewhere between the earth and the sky. So free for the moment, lost because I wanna be lost. Don't try to find me."
The Martinis - "Free"
I am grateful for this cheesecake…and this tea latte. I am
grateful for the fact that I can simply walk out of my house, get in a car,
drive myself wherever I please with no one to stop me. I am grateful that the
Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf was open and that there was seating outside on the
patio. I am grateful for the streetlight, the neon sign, and all the hotel and
restaurant lights that make an otherwise dirty Ventura Blvd glow at night. I
am grateful for this chair and this cool breeze. I am grateful for the bed I
get to go home to and the air in my lungs. I am grateful for the clothes on my
back and I am grateful to the people who made them.
As I sit here and look around, I am in awe. There is so much
I take for granted every day. The freedom I wake up with each morning. I did
not fully know this freedom as a child. No one did. When I was young I had a bed
time, a curfew, there was a required height for the best roller coasters, no
driving until you’re sixteen, no drinking until you’re 21! So many rules! I
dreamed of the day I would be an adult, my own person…with keys and a credit
card. :-) I couldn’t wait for the day to come…and now…its here. Has been for a while actually...cough cough...30 and what not! And I have been taking it
for granted. This freedom. This ability to go and do and be. But tonight as I
walked out of my house I tried to be fully aware. From walking out of the house…I
am grateful to have this house and for these legs that carry me down its front
steps…to getting in my car…I am grateful for this car and to my Mom and brother
for teaching me to drive…the streetlights and signs that help keep us safe on
the road, the headlights that light the way, the freedom to choose wherever I
want to go. Each and every step of tonight’s journey, I tried to be fully aware
of the freedom, the blessings, that I have. And the fact that I ended up with
cheesecake and a latte ain’t too shabby either! As I paid for these items, I
was grateful for my job and my boss, to my parents who taught me a good work
ethic, and to Kat who I can hear in my head saying “Treat yo’self!”
In the hustle and bustle, the responsibilities that come
with life, I am reminded that the freedoms I longed for as a girl are now mine. I should take a moment to really enjoy them once in a while. Like tonight.
Day 88: I am grateful for the freedoms adulthood offers. But
I am also grateful for the rules that I was held to as a child…for they kept me
safe, taught me responsibility, and help me to appreciate all I have now.
No comments:
Post a Comment