"If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders."
Abigail Van Buren
Money. Ugh. Money can be wonderful and terrible and just all around confusing. No, this post is not about being grateful for $$$. Though I am grateful to be paid a fair wage, grateful for the money I have. I am truly grateful. Truly. But this is not just about money.
As I sit here doing my budget for the month, I stopped and realized how far I had come. First off....I actually do a budget! If you had told me that back in college, I would not have believed you. Because that girl was ignoring calls from debt collectors, paying minimum balances on her credit card, and blowing what little money she did have on potato crisps at Inn The Wood. Don't get me wrong...it wasn't that bad...but lose your grip on one little unsettled Old Navy credit card and things can start to swerve out of control. I think everyone goes through that time where they are figuring it all out. Some recover quickly...and some don't.
I did....and that is due to my wonderful parents. My mom and dad raised me to be financially responsible. When I started wanting money for things, I had to get a job. Not in a demanding "you HAVE to get a job!!!" sort of way...merely explaining that you need money to do thing...and to get money, you need a job. So they helped me get one! And you know what? I loved working. I loved bringing home a paycheck that was all mine.
And as I grew, they continued to teach me responsible habits. They helped me get my first credit card (and only credit card to this day), but not until I went to college...and only for emergencies. They made sure I knew that it was my credit card, my responsibility, and I was to pay the bill. And I'm so glad that put so much weight on that. Because of that I've never let it get out of control. (Well...I don't count the Old Navy fiasco!)
They even helped me out when I lost my footing a little in LA. They helped me get back on my feet, no questions asked. And from that point they continued to teach me lessons. They urged me to start doing a budget, to put down on paper how much comes in and what goes out...and where it goes. Now I've developed this entire spreadsheet with formulas for my spending built in. I've even shared it with a few friends to help them out and its worked. My mom helped me set up my IRA so I could be financially prepared for the future. And my dad always shares tips he's learned openly and honestly.
Its because of them that I am where I am now. Which is simply...having things under control. There was a time when I thought I would never be able to have a car...but I do. There was a time whew I never thought I'd be able to buy a house...but I can see that in my future now. I always thought that was just part of growing up...but I can see now that it was them who took the time to teach me.
Day 42: I am so grateful to my parents for teaching me financial responsibility. For having patience with me as I learned. I am grateful to them for setting such a great example...an example that taught me to take care of business, to save for my future, to give and help others whenever you can, and every once in a while....treat yourself. I am so grateful to for all these lessons....but the greatest lesson they taught me about money...is that money isn't everything. Love is.
Disclaimer: Every single potato crisp from Inn the Wood....was absolutely worth it!

No comments:
Post a Comment