"There's something like a line of gold thread running through a man's words when he talks to his daughter, and gradually over the years it gets to be long enough for you to pick up in your hands and weave into a cloth that feels like love itself."
John Gregory Brown
(Sporting his sweet stache at Christmas a few years ago!)
George Woody Thompson Jr. is a great man. A truly great man. He serves God and his church at Southwest Christian in East Point Georgia. He serves his community as a Cobb County Commissioner. All my life, as long as I can remember, he has served on boards and been a member one group or another. (I remember he would always let me go to Rotary with him. I love when we did that.) He has always been so involved with his community. Working tirelessly to help others. And he does. Every one in our hometown knows who he is. I couldn't go anywhere growing up without someone saying "You're Woody's daughter, aren't you?!". And I would proudly resopnd, "Yes, I am!" Even when I was home this past Easter and took a trip to the DQ! Some one there knew Woody Thompson. And yet again I was proud to say that I was his baby girl. He's made such an impression on our hometown. Not only as a County Commissioner, but as a citizen, a business owner, and a neighbor. Such an impression that they even named a room at the local library after him. The George Woody Thompson Jr. Community Room. I remember when I first saw it. I must have taken a hundred pictures. I was so tickled by that. Everywhere we go he will stop and talk to any and every person that would like a word. That's just who he is. George Woody Thompson Jr. is a great man...
...but I know him as Daddy. I know the man outside of work, outside of the community. The man at home. The man who would have his family in stitches doing his special Riverdance. The man who was at every softball game, every play, every special event. The man who can absolutely melt at the sight of his sweet labrador, Holly. Those two...they're head over heels for one another! The man who, no matter how old I get, still slips some money into my hand when he drops me at the airport...just because he loves me, just in case I need it. The man who gets totally broken up at our annual Christmas Eve viewing of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation....watching him get tickled and laugh at that movie is pure joy. Its infectious. I love that tradition. He's a man who is so sweet and loving with his wife, his partner of 38 years. He is a man of great faith....a man of great love....and he has been a wonderful Father.
I have so many special memories with my father. Because he always let me go with him places. I mentioned earlier about the Rotary club. And I would always tag a long to work with him. We owned a dry cleaning place while I was growing up. I would go along and play in the machines and on the carts, then Daddy would slip me the key to the soda machine and let me take a grape Fanta. I can see it all in so much detail in my mind. When I got older, and the cleaners was in a different location, I would go with him some nights to change the "perc." I love going to do that. I don't know why I thought it was so neat...maybe because it made me feel useful...but probably just because I got to spend time with my Daddy. And I have so many memories of just sitting at the breakfast table reading the newspaper (I had the comics) over coffee. Summer vacations in Florida when he let me dive off of his shoulders into the pool. One time I even thought I'd be a daredevil and go down the slide without my floaties on and went straight under. Never to worry...my Father...the hero...dived in to save me. All of these memories are so clear in my mind. I can see every detail. Locked in there never to be lost.
One of my favorite...and most detailed memories...in fact I think it may be one of my ealriest...was after church one Sunday when I was quite young. That day, the teacher had talked about how Jesus loves everyone, everyone in the world, and that we should to. I had fallen asleep in the back seat on the way home from church, like I did every Sunday...drooling on my arm and sweating in the sun, my skin sticking to the leather interior. We had gotten home, pulled into the carport on Plum Lane and my Dad came around and opened up the back door to wake me up and take me inside. I had been pondering the teachers lesson in my sleep and I remember saying...
"Daddy....Jesus loves everyone in the world, right?'
"Yes, baby. He loves everyone."
"So, does that mean Jesus loves the devil?"
"Yeah, he does. Jesus even loves the devil."
"Well...if Jesus loves everyone...and I'm supposed to love everyone like Jesus...does that mean I am supposed to love the devil too?"
I can see it so clearly. My father's face went blank. Kids say the darnedest things, right? Then a smile just crept across his face as he realized what his daughter had just asked him. And then he responded...
"Baby, why don't you just focus on loving every person in the world and let Jesus worry about loving the devil, ok?"
"Ok Daddy."
It was perfect. And all I needed to hear. I will never ever forget that moment as long as I live.
I feel so lucky to have a Father who has always been there. I had many friends growing up who didn't have close relationships with their Dads, if they even knew them at all. I sometimes felt guilty for having it so good. A father who loved me unconditionally, supported my dreams, and never judged me. I know some of the choices I made weren't easy for him. Going far away to school. Moving across the country to Los Angeles. But not once did he discourage me. We discussed the decisions, but he always let me make them. He always let me be my own person and I appreciate that more than I can say. But every time I went away...be it going out on the weekend during high school...leaving to go to college in Cincinnati....standing on the driveway before I got in my car and drove to California...and every time we part to this day...he always looks at me and says..."Remember who you are." There were times when I was younger when that phrase would make me roll my eyes..."I know, Daddy!" As I grew older, I really started taking it to heart. And today, its one of the sweetest things I can hear and I look forward to it every time. And I do remember. I carry those words with me and carry my Daddy with me everywhere I go. I remember how he raised me, where I come from, and who I am. Its kept me strong. Its kept me honest. Its kept me faithful.
Our family has suffered through so much. My Father has had to endure some unimaginable pain...as we all have. And last year he had to deal with some health problems that gave us all quite a scare. (don't worry, he's fine now, thank goodness) I remember thinking...please, no more. I would've given anything to take away any and all pain. Any and all heart ache. I would trade anything in the world to ensure that he would never see another sad or painful day. Of course there's no way to strike that deal...and in this world you never know what you'll have to face next. But I've seen my Daddy bounce back. I've seen him stay strong. I've watched him keep the faith through everything.
George Woody Thompson Jr. is a great man. A truly great man. And my Daddy.
Day 50: I am grateful for my Daddy. For the incredible man he is. I am grateful to him for always being there. Always providing for us, loving us, making us laugh, and protecting us. For teaching us, for leading by example, for sharing his faith, his love, his time. For being more than just a father...for being a Daddy. And a great one.
Daddy,
Thank you for....everything. For always providing, always loving. For teaching me responsibility and still knowing how to have fun...and for occasionally striking fear into the hearts of a few boyfriends. :-)
It's 50 days until I'm 30 years old....can you believe it?! But through each and every phase of my life...from childhood, to teens, college, to adulthood (even one day when you walk me down the aisle)...every step of the way, I have always been your baby girl. And I always will be. I always know, no matter where I go, that I have a place... with you. I love you with all my heart. Happy Father's Day.
Your "Whee-nie",
Susan
No comments:
Post a Comment