"What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness."
John Steinbeck
Day 44: I am grateful for the HEAT!
I know. I know. Some people are hating it. And the East Coast is getting some seriously high temperatures.... but here in southern California....it is the perfect Saturday.
Now...I don't say these things to brag about where I live...it is indeed beautiful....but that's not why the weather bowled me over. Its because I HAVE BEEN COLD FOR TWO YEARS! Haha!
It sounds dramatic...and it is....but its also true. Growing up, I adjusted to the weather easily. Never too hot, never too cold. But these days, I am always freezing! And I have truly felt that way for about two years. The past few summers never got too warm. And, trust me, we've had some doozies since I've moved out here, but these last few were very mild. I was always waiting for the heat to really hit...and when it never did, I just continued shivering. Its like there has been this chill, buried deep inside me, and I just couldn't shake it. I don't know why or how it happened. Maybe moving out here my blood adjusted. But come on!! I take extra hoodies to the movies, have a large (and growing) collection of blankets, and keep a space heater by my desk at work. Its absurd.
But today? Mike and I were out running errands and as I was walking across the grocery store parking lot I thought to myself...."Wow, its so hot." It instantly made me laugh because I felt this rush of joy at finally getting to say that, to feel that. I put my arms out, threw my head back, and just soaked it up. Wrapped in warmth. Finally.

No comments:
Post a Comment