"The essence of
pleasure is spontaneity."
Germaine Greer
Spontaneous last minute road trip!! To San Diego! Mike called me at work on Friday and said, "Hey! Bogey called and wants us to join him and Joe in San Diego for Corri's birthday. Want to go?" Seeing as Corri is a spectacular human and should be celebrated fully AND because it is hard for me to ever turn down a chance to hang with members of the CHM...I said YES! We've been trying to lay low and save money recently, especially since we just did a bit of travel and have a bit more coming up...but with a chance to carpool down there and a free place to stay, we knew we could make it work. Bogey always says...You only live once!
It was a beautiful drive down. I forgot how lovely SD is. I couldn't stop staring at the coast line. We even saw a giant ship, which I'm almost positive was an aircraft carrier, right off the coast before we got into the city. We ended up meeting at "Basic", a very fun pizza place/bar right by Corri's place (they have mashed potato pizza....yeah, you heard me). Now, the fun part was that Corri didn't know Mike and I were coming. We were a last minute surprise. We stood off to the side and waited for her to notice. It was such a joy to see her face when she realized who we were and that we had come down.
The day started there and continued all around the city. We had drinks, great food, and ended up at a theater her friend had rented at a local condo building to watch the Pacquiao fight. (Still shocked about that one!) We finally finished the night at a local place called Analog where we spent the evening listening to incredible music, hanging with new friends, laughing, dancing, and celebrating the wonderful birthday girl. It was definitely a night to remember. One of those nights where at 2 am you're eating DiGiorno pizza, laughing and reminiscing about the events of the past few hours. As I get older (58 days until 30!) and closer to marriage and having children, I know that nights like these won't happen as often. But am so happy to able to recognize in the moment that I am living a night to remember. Knowing that years from now, I will be able to look back on this one so fondly. Of course, at the same time, I am happy to know that these nights will be replaced with nights that will be different but equally as wonderful...if not more so. Nights where, instead of going out with friends, I'll be snuggling with my husband and children on the couch watching a movie...instead of taking a last minute trip out of town, I'll be at a little league game or a ballet recital. Because, no matter what it is, a night out on the town or a family trip to the zoo....all of these moments that bring us joy....these are the moments we live for.
Side Note: We went to this place called Bub's in San Diego. They have something on their menu called "Wing Roulette." They give you a plate with 10 wings....9 of them are normal hot wings...1 of them is atomic!
Mike lost the 1st round!
FYI - I was terrified, but I did it!
BUYER BE WARE!! :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment