Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 46

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."

Aesop



I saw something awful the other day. A video was released of some school children verbally abusing their bus monitor, Karen. A lot of you may have seen or heard about it. The video was 10 minutes long. I got about 30 seconds in, heard the hateful remarks, saw poor Karen start to wipe tears away from her eyes and had to cut it off. It was unbelievable. The things these children were saying to this poor woman were just heartbreaking. I was shocked...and very disheartened. And just as my faith in humanity was about to be knocked down a notch....I saw something else....

That's what today's post is about....the "something else." I do not want to focus on the hatred and cruelty of those children and I hope they learn a very real lesson from all this.....I do want to focus on the kindness that came after. Almost immediately following the release of the video, someone started a Facebook page called "Kindness For Karen." And that's what it is. A place to stop by and send love, encouragement, and kindness to this woman. The organizer is planning on making it into a tangible book for Karen to keep. There was even talk of raising money to send Karen on a dream vacation. I have not kept up with the story too much since....but I believe I heard that they had raised about 550k pretty quickly. Now that is a dream vacation!!

As brokenhearted as I was from seeing the first part of this wretched video....my faith was immediately restored seeing the instant outpouring of love from incredibly kind strangers. I stopped by and sent her some love from LA...and I encourage anyone else that feels so moved to do the same. 


It got me thinking about kindness. And how easy it is. Kind words can do so much good and they don't cost a thing. Kind actions are even better. And when people come together in the name of kindness....look what can be accomplished. I've considered making my next blog project (after the 100 days are over) about kindness. I think it should be spread like wildfire.

Day 46: I am grateful for the people that reached out to Karen. To the people that choose kind words over hateful words.  I am grateful for everyone out there who chooses kindness.


No comments:

Post a Comment