"You got to try a little kindness
Yes show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
And if you try a little kindness
Then you'll overlook the blindness
Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets."
Bobby Austin (Via Glen Campbell)
Tonight we went to the Hollywood Bowl. This is one of my favorite activities in the summer no matter who is playing. It just has a feel about it. Its magic. We took wine and dessert, found our cheap seats, and felt the sun go down while the music played.
The show was Glen Campbell's Goodbye Tour. We first got tickets because one of our favorite bands, Dawes, was going to be playing. (I've mentioned them before and I hope you've had a chance to check them out!) But this show was so much more than just a Dawes show. And it was lucky for us to be there.
In 2011 Glen announced that he was living with Alzheimer's. This tour, which was already scheduled, would be his last, his farewell. Once we realized what we had gotten tickets to, Mike and I were very excited. To be a part of his last show in Los Angeles was very special. Granted...neither of us were huge Glen Campbell fans and we had to look up some of the hits before we went. But during the show, we quickly realized just how much this man contributed to music. He had started out as a session musician and was a member of the famous Wrecking Crew before his solo career. He played on records for everyone from The Monkees to Merle Haggard to Elvis. He even played guitar on The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds"...not to mention filling in for Brian Wilson on tour with the group.
He's done so many great things.....but tonight at the Hollywood Bowl...he became something else. He became an example. To me at least. You could tell he was having a fantastic time. And he sounded incredible. Really incredible. But what hit me square in the heart....was that every other sentence that came out of his mouth was..."I'm so happy to be here." And he was. You could tell. Looking out over an enormous crowd that was there to celebrate him and his life. And it made me think....this person, who may be losing some of his faculties, who may be losing his grip on things due to this terrible disease...this person was grateful.
He was a walking, talking, singing, yodeling, guitar playing example of gratitude.He was so immersed in the moment. Living and loving every minute. Think of the situation. Its his last show in this city, at this spectacular venue, one of the last shows he'll play in his career....and he just kept saying "I'm so happy to be here." Wouldn't you be? In that situation, wouldn't you be overwhelmed with gratitude? He was. And it showed.
But you know what? I have a sinking suspicion that Glen Campbell has been a grateful man all his life. I don't think its just that this night knocked his socks off. I get the feeling that he has always been aware of how beautiful life is. And that is truly the way we should live each moment. Like its our last show at the Hollywood Bowl! Being in constant awe of what is in front of us.
Day 43: I am grateful for the example of gratitude given to me tonight. For the incredible performance from Glen Campbell. For the living breathing reminder to look around in each moment and find a reason to say "I'm so happy to be here."

No comments:
Post a Comment