Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 47

"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably." 

William Penn

(Photo credit....Jenn Spain!!)


I used to dislike Jenn Spain. I admit it. It's true. But let me explain!!

Jenn and I share a best friend. I met Kat in High School and Jenn found her in college. When Kat and I would talk on the phone or by email from our respective colleges, I would always hear "Jenn this and Jenn that!!" Being a younger and much more jealous person...I couldn't stand it! She was mine! I completely judged this person before I even met her. But then....

I met her. And she was wonderful. Full of life, easy going, open minded and hearted, a walking piece of art...and utterly fascinating. My first visit to to see Kat in Chicago set me straight on the lovely Jenn Spain. But whereas I accepted her after that....we weren't really friends until she moved to LA. She moved in right across town and thus began a beautiful friendship. Sharing Kat as a best friend became a wonderful gift. Because before long it wasn't Kat+Jenn or Sue+Kat...it was all of us. This friend of a friend became one of the best friends I've known. And that all really was due to Jenn herself.

Last August, for my birthday, Jenn got me the most incredible gift. She got me a cake decorating set! Fondant roller and mat, sugar sheet cutters, stencils, the works! This was not just an incredible gift because I love to bake....it was an incredible gift because it became something Jenn and I did together. It became our time.  We started to build elaborate cakes for our friends' birthdays and special events. We would spend hours working with sugar and batter and icing. It was a wonderful bonding experience for us...as well as completely delicious! That time is so special to me. We just shut out the world, laugh, talk, share, and create. I just realized that I'm talking about it like we don't do it anymore. Nothing could be further from the truth. Fact is...we are building a cake tonight. Thus my inspiration for this post! And I've been looking forward to it all day. To spend time with this amazing woman.

Jenn is the type of friend who would move mountains for you. At the first sign of stress or struggle, she'll be at your door saying "What do you need?" She is so incredibly aware of the people around her...of their wants and needs...of their moods. She picks up on things that others may not. And furthermore, once she picks up on your energy, she respects it. She'll know when to wrap you in her arms and when to leave you alone. She knows when its time to be silly and when its time to be serious. She is honest and loyal and constantly giving. But she doesn't cater to people. She'll be the first to have a discussion or debate. She will challenge you in the most wonderful ways. I think its because she really knows who she is. She knows what she believes and will stand up for it. When someone has that sense of self, there is no need to pretend or play games. And she is not afraid to ask when she needs something as well. Be it a shoulder to cry on or someone to lend and ear (or a couch)....or help making a cake! She knows she can rely on her friends just like we know we can rely on her. In the time we've known each other, I have not once felt uncomfortable with her...I have never felt judged. I have always been loved, accepted, and cherished. Because she truly cherishes all her friends. And isn't that the way it should be?
  

Day 47: I am so incredibly grateful to have Jenn Spain in my life. (and I'm grateful to Kat for snagging her and sharing her!) I am grateful to Jenn for always being there, always being herself, being open, honest, loyal...and one of the most free-spirited and fun people I know. She has taught me how to be a better friend...and she has done that by setting a wonderful example. 

Espana,

You are art, you are love, you are light. I am so grateful you came in to my life and I will never ever let you go. I so very much appreciate our talks, your wisdom, your openness and willingness to share your heart. I look forward to every cake making session....and every time I hear your "hello!" at my door, my heart fills. The world is so much brighter with you in it. Here's to years and years of friendship. I love you so.

Love,
Sue




No comments:

Post a Comment