Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 62

"And I still see wrong from right...Cause I've got my mama's eyes...
Yeah I've got my mama's eyes"

Justin Townes Earle



Today's post is slotted for June 5th. Which just happens to be Mike's birthday. However, I don't think I'm quite ready to write that post yet. Not that I'm not grateful for him! He is the best thing in my life and I'll never be able to express my gratitude fully. But I am going to try! However, that post is being saved for another day.

Today I wanted to focus on another person. A very special person who this day means just as much to. And her name is Donna. Donna is Mike's mother. And 32 years ago today, she gave birth to one of the most incredible people in my life....and if you've ever met her, you are a lucky human indeed.

Donna and I got to know each other at first through email. The way Mike and I got together was quite unconventional and very sudden. This was not easy for anyone....including his sweet mother who cared a great deal for Mike's previous girlfriend. I had reached out to her in an email...really just to introduce myself and open the gateway of communication.What followed was several emails in which we opened up and talked about how the situation was affecting each of us. From the get-go she was completely open and honest with me. That's when I knew this was my kind of lady. I've always believed that honesty is the best policy...especially when it comes to how we feel or what we think...and especially when it has to do with someone we both love so dearly. We kept sharing back and forth all the way up until she visited two month's later for Mike's Birthday in 2010. We got spend time then talking face to face. She really opened her heart to me and I knew that, from then on, we would be great friends.

Since that trip, I think we've only seen each other one other time. Mike and I went to Kenosha and the whole group of us (Me, Donna, Mike, his sister Megan, and brother-in-law, Justin) went to Green Bay for a Packers Game. We got to know each other even better on this trip. Talking in the car, over meals, playing cards at the hotel (she is the Duker master!). We had a blast. On the way up to Green Bay, we stopped by her dear friend Linda's house in Fond Du Lac. Its right on the water and its absolutely stunning. Donna had spoken to me many times about this place. She told me how special it was to her, what peace she found there. Getting to be there with her, having her share this beautiful place with me was so special. I'll never forget it. 

One thing about this amazing lady that really stands out is her love for her children. It is so heartwarming, so beautiful. A mother's love always is...but this one...is something special. Every time she speaks or writes about her children, you can just feel her beaming. And she has reason to be so proud. She raised two incredible children. Mike and I have been fast friends since we met, of course, but the same happened when I met Megan. That girl is so full of life! She is wild, crazy, insanely funny...but at the same time just as loving and caring as her wonderful Mama. We just clicked. And that was long before Mike and I even started dating. I knew I was blessed....because I not only got along with Mike's family....but I adored them, had found friends and confidants in them, and always felt so at home and welcome in their presence. I'm so grateful for that.

I haven't been able to see Donna in quite some time...but I hope to change that soon. I'd love to wrap my arms around her and give her the biggest hug possible. I'd love to tell her to her face how much she means to me...how her light and love shine through her wonderful children. Maybe one day soon. I hope with all my heart.

Donna and I still email. Just recently I opened up to her about how it felt having Mike away on tour. I shared some very personal thoughts and feelings that I hadn't really spoken to anyone else about. And she wrote me back the most comforting words imaginable. It was like she knew exactly what was in my heart and knew exactly what to say to help me find peace. I must've read it 15 times and every time, I couldn't help but tear up.

Day 62: I am grateful for Donna Frieman. I am grateful to her for always being open and honest with me, for sharing her thoughts and feelings, for sharing her love, for sharing her family. I am grateful for every visit (and hope to have many more). I am grateful for each and every email. I am grateful for the 2 wonderful children she brought in to this world and for the love and light she passed on to each of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment