"I've learned that your college friends become kind of family, you eat together, you take naps together, fight, laugh, cry, and do absolutely nothing together until you can't remember how you ever lived your life without them in the first place."
(Mike's Class - 10 years later)
College. Am I right?! :-)
Nothing compares to those 4 blissful years....a time where we thought we were truly adults...a time where we thought we had real problems. But looking back...we were so sheltered, in such a bubble. A wonderful, intense, creatively driven bubble. I love my college experience. I am a proud graduate of The University of Cincinnati: College-Conservatory of Music, where I earned my BFA in Dramatic Performance.
This past weekend, Mike had a little mini-10 year reunion with his college class. I was lucky enough to get to tag along. Well....we had it at our house...so maybe luck didn't have much to do with it! They all came over on Saturday for a cookout. There was food, drink, friends, embarrassing old pictures...and even a few videos! And the one thing that was in abundance....laughter. We laughed so hard our muscles were sore the next day.
As I sat there and watched everyone reminiscing with each other, it made me think. You never quite make friends again like the ones you make in college. There's something about that time. We were figuring out who we were, what we believe in. We all shared common interest, being in the same major. We were there for each other through some of our first and deepest heart aches. Everything was built in for us to enjoy. From dorm rooms...to apartments within walking distance. From cafeterias...to local bars. From rehearsals....to after parties. We just got to do it all together.
Yes, I got a great education. Yes, the teachers and directors were incredible. The facilities, lessons learned, experiences had, and life lived was just superb. But....the best part...the most fulfilling part....my favorite part...was the friends I made. The friends I carry with me to this day.
We were all sitting around after we ate on Saturday watching a video of some random party we had my sophomore year...and my dear friend Cory said "I would go to that party right now." And we all would I think. To go back...for just a night. To revisit all those people, that place, that age, those feelings. Of course we can never go back....but we will always carry it with us.
Now...like I said...this was Mike's reunion for his class. There was one person from my class there. Eric Solomon. But he and I are the only ones from our class that live in Los Angeles these days. The majority of our class is spread across the country. There are some in NY, GA, OH, TN, etc... I've seen pictures of various ones getting together over the years and it makes me long for them. Watching Mike's class revel in their gathering did the same.
So, the wheels are turning.....My 10 year reunion is just 2 years away. I think it's time we got the gang back together.....

No comments:
Post a Comment