"What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul. "
Yiddish Proverb
But then...there are the merry-makers, the comedians, the clowns. The people who's purpose in this world is to make us laugh, to bring joy, to lift the weight of this weary world even just so slightly.
I love to laugh. I love to make poeple laugh. It really is true. Laughter is the best medicine. We cannot take ourselves too seriously. We need to laugh. We need to share laughter. Its infectious. Some of my favorite memories growing up were around the dinner table. My brother or my dad would say something that got either me or my sister tickled. Once that happened...it was over. If Laura gets to laughing, gets really broken up about something, thats the end for me. I lose it. Her laugh just triggers something in me. Before too long, we're both in stitches, tears running down our faces...not even able to remember what we were laughing about in the first place. I have a video of my sister making my niece Phoebe laugh at the dinner table when we were all home for Easter. Talk about joy. There is nothing in the world like making a child laugh. And it does my hjeart good to know that the tradition continues. Thompson (and now Miller) girls still cracking each other up at the dinner table.
Laughter brings moments of pure joy. Where you can forget, for just a moment, all of your worries, your responsibilities. Milton Berle said "Laughter is an instant vacation. " How true. For those brief seconds you have nowhere to be, nothing to do, you just throw your head back...and laugh.
Day 31: I am grateful to all the peolpe out there who share their joy by way of making people laugh. The stand-up comics, comedic actors, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, friends...pets even! I am grateful for the peace that laughter brings...not to mention..the great ab workout. ;-) What?! Bad joke?
Side note (and inspiration for this post!): Last night, Mike and I went to a bar in North Hollywood to see a friend of ours do stand-up. It was his birthday show and we were so happy to go and support...but more than that...to celebrate a person who has dedicated his life to brightening the lives of others. Check out his website here: http://www.brandonficara.com/.

No comments:
Post a Comment