Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 28

“Some days are for living. Others are for getting through.”

Malcolm Forbes



Today was wretched. I mean...a really horrible day. I've had a lot of things on my mind, a fun but exhausting weekend under my belt, and was facing a Monday that seemed like it would never end. I didn't feel good, was very emotional for various reasons, and wanted nothing more than to crawl into a hole, curl up, and sleep until the next day. Don't get me wrong...it wasn't the end of the world. Everyone has days like this....and for me, this was just one of those days. Then it got worse. Everything went wrong at work and I was about to snap. I won't go into detail because there is no point in rehashing the negative. But when I finally got home, I needed to sit in the car and cry for a few minutes before I could go into the house. 

But its amazing how things can turn around. I went in the house and it was spotless. Mike had cleaned and was sitting there on the couch. He knew I had a rough day and he just held me and let me cry. He didn't ask questions, didn't try to fix it, just sat there with me. After about an hour, I realized all the negativity from my day was starting to melt away.

We had plans later that night to go see a movie with some friends to celebrate Jenn's birthday. We met them at the candy store at Universal City walk, stocked up on sweets (after a day like that, I had every excuse to eat a giant bag of candy, right?!), then headed in to see Brave, the new Disney film.

As I sat there....cuddling up the the man I love, with the most wonderful friends on either side of us...all laughing and crying at this adorable film...hearing the birthday girl giggle a few seats down and thinking how grateful I was that she was born...it was hard to even remember the hateful hours that preceded. Friends are magic  like that. 

We're all going to have bad days. Days where you're run down, stressed out, over worked, taken advantage of, and just generally over it. There will be days when all you want to do is cry. Days when you feel like you'll never get anywhere. There will be terrible days. And its on those days, we must look to our friends. Look to our family. Look to the people that make everything ok just by being there. Tomorrow is another day.

Day 28: I am grateful for my friends. For the way that they can wipe away the negativity with a smile or a hug or a laugh. I am grateful for my dear Jenn, so grateful that she was brought into this world and shares her light so freely with those she loves. I am grateful for our cinematic escape and the wonderful message that Brave conveyed (which made me miss my Mom...I'm grateful for her too!). I am grateful for Mike and his amazing ability to handle me on days like this. I am grateful for the way he loves me and somehow manages to make everything ok. I am grateful that this day is over. And am grateful for afresh start tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment