Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 9

 “All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece, but not too much.”

George Harrison



Sometimes the most wonderful friendships sneak up on you.

This weekend I went to my friends Orlando and Paty's house for their annual "kegger." Orlando came in to my life several years ago through the CHM (Coachella House Mafia!). And the lovely Paty is his beautiful wife. 

The funny thing is....(and I may have told this story before, but hey...that's what I do)....I remember when Orlando first told me about Paty. We were at Coachella, walking the dreadful, insanely hot mile from the drop off point to the entrance to the festival. He started telling me about this girl he just began seeing. He told me how wonderful she was, how beautiful she was....how he thought she might be "the one". 

It was a while before I met her. And living so far away from them, we only ran into each other here and there...gatherings at Bogey's house, etc...But over the past few years, Paty and I have become great friends.  She's just one of those people that brightens your day. You just light up when you see her. She has a charm and a warmth about her. Not to mention...she is a sensational cook! So, we definitely get a long there! 

She is also incredibly thoughtful. I was sitting on their front porch at the party on Saturday. All of a sudden the entire crowd is singing Happy Birthday! I turn around to see Paty and her sister holding a peach pie and a big cookie cake with a "30" painted on it in icing. Needless to say, I was not expecting this. She had been in contact with Mike to find out what I like. He told her about my love of cookie cakes! And she chose peach pie knowing that I was a Georgia Peach! Perfect. Just perfect.

After enjoying pieces of both (yes both, don't judge me!) tasty treats, I went to speak to Paty and thank her for the incredibly delicious gesture. She said that she knew Mike and I would be away from my actual birthday and she wanted to make sure I had a group celebration with my friends before we left. She didn't have to do that. This was her party, her celebration...but she saw it as an opportunity to celebrate someone else. I was honored by this incredibly thoughtful act. I was moved. I was grateful.

Day 9: I am so grateful that Orlando brought the wonderful Paty into my life. I am grateful for the friendship we have and am so looking forward to developing it further. I am grateful for the kind, thoughtful, and yummy gesture she made in giving me a little birthday love  during their party. It was so special to me. She is so special to me. Thank you Paty! xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment