Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 26

"In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work.  It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years."

Jacques Barzun


I was a teacher. For one year. Well...a teacher in the public school system for one year. I taught acting at Pebblebrook High School: Cobb County Center For Excellence in the Performing Arts. This was the school I attended as a theatre major and I was so happy to return as a member of the faculty. I got to work with the man who taught me. His name is Bob Adams...and he is one of the greatest teachers I have ever known. He brought passion, humor, and honesty to the classroom and I am so grateful to have studied under him and taught with him. He made my time there....as a student and a teacher...so special. He made such an impression on me and I will forever be grateful.

But those kids...my students...my babies. They made an impression as well. It was just one year. But I will carry it with me for the rest of my life. It's a special relationship between teacher and student, especially in a acting classroom. I've worked with young performers all my life...summer camps, after school programs, training programs...ages 6 to 18. But there was just something about working with high school age actors that was different. That is when they really start to "get it". They move from playing pretend into real emotional connection. And when that happens? When they really connect with another actor onstage for the first time...its like magic. Then, there is no turning back. Once they know what that feels like...the truth, the honesty....they'll never settle for anything less. I shared so many of those moments with these kids. 

I keep tabs on my kids...emails, facebook, and I even run in to some of them occasionally. Its so wonderful to see all that they have gone on to do...I have kids on tour, on Broadway, running their own theatre companies, traveling the world! I am overwhelmed with pride every time. I think this must be just an inkling of how wonderful it must be to be a parent and watch your children grow and thrive. 

Yesterday morning, I got a message from one of my girls who reads this blog and had reached out a few weeks ago. The lovely and talented Allison McDowell has been on tour with La Cage Aux Folles. She invited me and Mike to come to opening night at the Pantages. We jumped at the chance, of course! As I sat there watching, I couldn't help but get a little teary. There she was....this girl who I knew as a little baby sophomore...turned into a beautiful woman. We spoke briefly after the show and realized that we hadn't seen each other in 8 years. It had been 8 years. Wow. She had come so far...to see the actress that she has grown in to...it was a very special moment and I am so grateful she invited me.

I would love to teach young actors again one day. The wheels are turning. And I have Allison to thank for that.

Day 26: I am so grateful to Allison for inviting me to her show, for sharing that experience, for even remembering me after all this time. It really meant the world. I am grateful to all my students. For the time we spent together, for all of them that keep in touch. For the lessons, the memories, the struggles and victories we shared. I will carry you with me for always. I am grateful to Pebblebrook and all of the wonderful times I had there as a student and a teacher. And to Bob Adams...for being the best teacher and co-worker I've ever known...and also...for being a dear friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment