"Living in the moment gives you a sense of
reverence for all of life’s blessings. What I know for sure is that what
you give comes back to you."
Oprah Winfrey
Day 37: I am grateful for the host with the most!! Mr. Dave Herrmann!! His warmth, his generosity, and his love...that was poured out in abundance all weekend.
When I walked in to Dave's place in Chicago on Friday night, I had been on quite the journey. I didn't think I was going to make it to the airport and when I did make it there was talk of major delays due to thunder storms. We did make it, though a little later than expected. It was midnight and Bogey and I were riding in a cab through a crazy rain storm. I was a little stressed out, tired, and nervous that I would be dragging through the whole weekend. But when the door to Dave's place swung open, we were met by quite the welcoming committee! Dave had thrown a party for us. Our bags were taken, we were handed drinks, and as we moved further in to the room, we were introduced to some of the most wonderful people. Now, its very easy to feel a little left out, a little bit of a wall flower when you go to a party in a city in which you barely know anyone. But Dave's friends were so welcoming. They met us with open arms, immediately engaged in conversation, we shared stories and spent time connecting the dots of who knows who. They made us feel so comfortable. It was such a nice way to start the weekend.
But it was so much more than just the arrival. Having house guests and hosting is somewhat of an art form...and Dave is a pro. Mary, Bogey, and I were constantly impressed. He made us feel so welcome, so special. The man made our beds up and provided fresh-out-of-the-dryer towels. He took us to his favorite breakfast spot and showed us so many hidden gems of "his city." I should've known that we'd be shown a good time the week before when he emailed us all a detailed itinerary for the weekend. We were going to pack as much fun into these 4 days as humanly possible. And we did.
Even when things went wrong, there was no worry, no stress....Dave just stepped up and took care of it. We were supposed to go out on the lake on Sunday. Dave had procured a captain for our boat, booked and confirmed a month ahead of time....The captain was to take us up the coast and show us all the wonders of Chicago from the water...."the only way to see this town", so I've heard. But when the captain called that morning with bad news, the plan was foiled. Apparently, he had been double booked and had to cancel. But then.....Captain Dave to the rescue! Yes...that man took on the responsibility himself. Dave took over and stepped in as captain. He took us out on the water and saved the day. And it all turned out for the best. We had sensational time...and the city is absolutely stunning from the water.


No comments:
Post a Comment