Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 35

"There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

Elaine Dickinson - "Airplane!"


Leaving Chicago on Monday was bitter sweet. Sad to leave such a good time and wonderful friends...but so ready to go home and see my love. Thus I began the journey back West!

What happened next would give anyone nightmares. 

I was on the plane....passed out. I always pass out before take off and wake up once we're in the air. I don't know why, but its like clockwork every time. So, there I am, sleeping away....then all of a sudden I hear...

"It's smoking! It's smoking!!"

In my dream state, I'm thinking....Wow! Someone is smoking on the plane? They JUST showed a video about that! How Silly.

Then I realize that he is screaming "It's smoking! It's smoking!!! Stop the plane!!!" Within seconds, the entire plane is screaming bloody murder. The woman next to me is screeching at the top of her lungs and I am just coming to and trying to look around to see what's going on. Everyone is in a frenzy. Everyone is screaming. And...what looks like smoke...is coming in through vents beneath the baggage compartment. I immediately flashed back to the phone conversations I had with my Mom and Mike right before take-off. What did I say? Did I tell them I loved them. Yes. Good. And even if I hadn't...they know. My family, my friends, they all know that I love them. So...now what?

I was still half asleep as it had only been about a minute since the screaming started. Everything was happening so fast. I still wasn't worried because the "smoke" seemed so controlled and the flight attendants were still seated.

Then....a voice from the back of the plane...one of the passengers...yelled "Its the AIR CONDITIONER!"

It took everyone a moment to calm down. Then the captain came on and explained that the condensation from the AC was blowing through the vents. Its quite humid in Chicago and it would take a minute for it all to evaporate. 

And cue laughter! It was uproarious. The hubbub continued for a while...everyone calming down, laughing. And I, of course, trying to fall back asleep. But I couldn't. Because it got me thinking. Thinking about life, about what I'm doing with my life, about the people I love, about everything. What if that had been it? What if there were no more chances to do what I love, follow my dreams, make a difference? It turned in to a rather emotional plane ride home. A very thoughtful and emotional plane ride. 

As I got off the plane and worked my way out to the curb, I was on the verge of tears. My head was spinning with questions... Am I the person I want to be? What am I doing with my life? What do I want to do with my life? How to I progress, move forward? I want more, but feel stuck...How do I get there...and where is there?? Spinning and spinning.

Then...there he was. My knight in shining Prius. Mike pulled up, got out the car, and swept me up in his arms. As he spun me around, I just sobbed. No matter what questions were flooding my mind...my heart was at ease. Because no matter what happens...I got this right. I got "us" right. And it was so good to be home. With him. Where I belong. 

He knew that I would eventually explain my emotional state, so he didn't push me. Instead, he just told me about his trip. Told me how he had gone to the store to pick up some stuff so we could have breakfast in the morning...how he had already set the coffee maker for the AM so I wouldn't have to worry about it...how he got me 2 sugar-free red-bulls because he knew that I would be dragging the next day...and how he would take me wherever I wanted for dinner. Life is so funny. Sometimes, just when you're about to lose your grip...life will remind you just how good you have it. 

Day 35: I am grateful to be home! I am grateful for airplane engineers, captains, and flight attendants. I am grateful that it was not, in fact, smoke. I am grateful for the questions this experienced raised in me....grateful to be faced with them and excited to see where they will lead me. I am grateful for Mike, for how wonderfully he takes care of me, for how well he knows me, and so grateful that no matter what life throws at us...we will always have each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment