Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 25





Throughout my blog journey, I have tried to start each post with a quote....something relevant to the particular subject I am writing on at that time. And during my search, I found so many great quotes that I haven't found a home for yet. Now...I know I still have 24 posts to go and I hope I'm not jumping the gun on this.....but some of the ones I found today are so moving that I just had to share them with you.


So these are some of the quotes I've been holding on to for a rainy day. I hope they inspire you as they did me....


Quotes on Gratitude:


“There is a calmness to a life lived in gratitude, a quiet joy.” — Ralph H. Blum


"The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it.” — Richard Bach


"We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures."   - Thornton Wilder


"Two kinds of gratitude:  The sudden kind we feel for what we take; the larger kind we feel for what we give."  - Edwin Arlington Robinson


"When eating bamboo sprouts, remember the man who planted them." - Chinese Proverb


Quotes on Kindness:


"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.  If you want to be happy, practice compassion."  - Dalai Lama


"Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness."  - Seneca


"When I was young, I admired clever people.  Now that I am old, I admire kind people."  - Abraham Joshua Heschel


"Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own."
 - Adam Lindsay Gordon



"By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach."  - Winston Churchill


"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."  - Leo Buscaglia


"How far that little candle throws his beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world."
- William Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice



Quotes on Love: 


"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence."  
- Eric Fromm


"When love is not madness, it is not love." - Pedro Calderon de la Barca


"Love must be as much a light, as it is a flame.  - Henry David Thoreau


"Love is, above all, the gift of oneself." - Jean Anouilh


"Be everything with so much love in your heart that you would never want to do it any other way."  - Amrit Desai


"Love is why I came here in the first place."  - John Denver


"There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love." - Johnny Depp, Don Juan DeMarco


And my favorite...


"Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken"

 - William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116


Day 25: I am grateful for words...for poetry, for the music of language. How they can move you to feel, to think, to act. The good that words can do. When strung together in a certain way...they can comfort, heal, inspire. 


May I live with a grateful heart
May I be kind without thinking
And May I always remember that my purpose is to love. 
 - Me...I said that.







No comments:

Post a Comment